Re: [DIYbio] Do you have an appreciation of the ocean and are all about open-source?

Frits,

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 4:09 AM, Frits Stam <f.c.stam@student.tue.nl> wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>
> Looking at the way we trash the ocean with plastic, eating all it's fish and
> still think that tropical rain forests are the lungs of the planet seems to
> me that we are in some way disconnected.

I guess my lack of knowledge shows how simple an understanding someone
can have... I'd love to hear more about the topics. Are you interested
in making a movie, or some other media?

> What I am currently interested in is the pollution and degradation of water
> quality close to cities that will eventually end up in the ocean.
>
> A couple of days ago I walked along the river 'de dommel' which goes
> straight through the city. (see: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dommel_(water
> gang) it's in Dutch but it has picture! :P ) They are actually cleaning the
> bed of the river because a lot of companies dumped zinc in it. I am looking
> in ways of collecting samples along the river and assessing the quality.
> While I was biking to the university I could see a purplish reflection on
> the water. I'm wondering how I can check the quality in some kind of way?

A spectrometer may help, know anyone that runs an FTIR?

--
Nathan McCorkle
Rochester Institute of Technology
College of Science, Biotechnology/Bioinformatics

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment