Re: [DIYbio] Re: query from PBS NewsHour




Your project sounds cool.  Sounds like you may just push it ahead by paying out-of-pocket, but two ideas....I have heard of one person working w/ LA biohackers applying to BGI and receiving free DNA sequencing for an extremophile genome, but I think this was a circumstance where it was a previously unsequenced organism.  Have you thought about putting your project up on PetriDish.org?  $2500 seems like an achievable #, especially if there is a compelling story behind this mutant fungus.  What is the backstory?  Why is this fungus variant interesting?

Jason
   

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately there is really no compelling story aside from old fashioned biocuriosity. I had used this strain (name of the gene is col-4) in some genetics projects years ago and had the hypothesis that it might be an allele of a sequenced gene called pph-1 that mapped to this spot. Likely not the case based on sequencing I have already done, but now I want to know what it is. It is also a good shakedown for my lab. All the equipment/techniques work and I want to put them together into a project that might be publishable before I go onto more potentially interesting projects I am thinking of.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/diybio/-/0LzkPULS1Q8J.
To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment