[DIYbio] Re: Do you have an appreciation of the ocean and are all about open-source?

In addition to OpenSailing, there is Seasteading, which could serve as a basis for renewable energy and farming research, such as aquaponics. As I have an interest in microbial life around the world, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute in Massachusetts is another unique place for research.

On Monday, March 26, 2012 5:03:06 AM UTC-4, Frits Stam wrote:

Hi, my name is Frits, I'm a Dutch Industrial Design Master student in Eindhoven.

I'm working on a project about making society more aware of the ocean. I'm looking for people to share ideas with me, this is why I am starting this discussion.
 
This project is my master graduation project. The envisioned project will involve the open-source community; this is why I am looking for people to talk to on this matter and to share ideas.

Some info on the project:
As I see it we (society) are very connected to the ocean, most of the everyday objects are in someway shipped across the ocean. Eventually ending up as plastic bits in the ocean.
Even before the Industrial Age we've been exploring the world with ships on the ocean.  We've been shipping diseases, slaves, religion and tobacco around the world in small wooden ships.
The ocean also acts as the source of life, in other words, all of the creatures on land came from the ocean. The ocean provides us also with an import source of protein to feed the world; fish.
Furthermore, the ocean houses plankton that are critical for the planet. Most people don't realize that a mouthful of seawater contains millions of bacterial cells, hundreds of thousands of phytoplankton and tens of thousands of zooplankton.

Although we have this strong connection with the ocean we have yet to explore 90% of it. In our ordinary lives we've been so disconnected of the environment around us, the only thing the majority of people see are the beaches, the endless blue, until of course, some oilrig blows up and washes oil up on the shore.

The project I am working on sees opportunity in creating a connection with society and the ocean somehow.

This is not an easy challenge, I cannot do this alone, I am asking a community of people that think outside the box, are hands-on and are compassioned about what they do for help.

In this period I do not have any concrete questions, but I will try anyway:

How do you think open data about the ocean contribute to a more aware society/life-stye of the ocean(s)?

How can people/societies, that have an awareness of the ocean, contribute in making our society more sustainable and more respecting towards the ocean?

I am very new to the DIYBio google group, so I am not sure if these kinds of messages are appreciated, I hope we can have a nice discussion and I am looking forward in sharing my ideas with you.

Frits


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/diybio/-/9NnaE7AFL-8J.
To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment