Re: [DIYbio] Re: Need a UV light source, any designs for deuterium/xenon bulb power supplies out there?

Even from AliBaba 260 and 280nm LEDs are >$100. Seoul OptoDevices
manufactures 280nm LEDs as well, but they won't sell to anyone who
smells of U.S.A. because they have a dealer called SETI.

For $100s of dollars, we can definitely get a xenon/deuterium flash
lamp that would be small enough for my needs... if I ever get to
building a UV Raman spectrometer for some crazy DNA sequencing ideas I
have, and it works, then the LEDs would be an option to take such a
device to the ultra-portable level.

For now though, I need to design a flash lamp.

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 7:48 AM, Dakota Hamill <dkotes@gmail.com> wrote:
> A few days ago I was checking out 260nm deep UV light sources for the
> purpose of being able to do OD260 for measuring only DNA concentration.
>
> These seemed like the best sources because they were small, and you could
> incorporate them + a cuvette + some circuit into a relatively small space
> I'd assume, like the size of a tupperware box or so.  But, dang they are
> expensive.  I guess in a high enough order # they could drop though, I think
> if we buy 1,000,000 units we can get them for $12 a piece, commence the
> fundraising! I also think I saw they were plagued with a relatively short
> lifespan, but I forgot how long
>
>
> http://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=LED260W  (has price
> listed-seems to be cheapest)
>
> https://wbphotonics.com/index.php/ocean-optics-1/light-sources/deep-uv-leds/deep-uv-leds.html
>  (has price listed- little more expensive)
>
> http://www.roithner-laser.com/led_deepuv.html  (no price that I can see
> listed, but nice data sheets showing lens type difference in focus length
> and area etc down towards bottom of the data sheet)

You can find these on

--
Nathan McCorkle
Rochester Institute of Technology
College of Science, Biotechnology/Bioinformatics

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment