Re: [DIYbio] Re: Any miniature ecmo diy projects

Your goals in the veterinary setting seem to make more sense. It is not uncommon for treatments developed in humans to be used in animals and vice versa. What you are now talking about seems entirely too grand.

I'm not clear on what the benefit to athletes would be but if there is one I suspect the technique would rapidly be banned.

For healthy individuals the benefits of any diagnostic must be considered against the potential risks. There is very little additional benefit to continuous monitoring when compared to quarterly, half-yearly or yearly screening (not that this frequency of screening is currently used). Balanced against this marginal benefit are the very major risks of infection and continuous anti-coagulation therapy.

In the emergency setting clearly there is a potential benefit as the link you posted demonstrates. Perhaps in time there could be an ECMO device next to every AED device in malls, offices and sports centres across the world. The reason AED devices are now showing up in these places is not because they are cheap (they aren't) but because they are really easy to use and difficult to do harm with. This is not true with ECMO devices.

If you want to see ECMO devices widely available you should focus on making them easy to use and safe. Forget about making them cheap, it's not enough and it's not needed.



On 15 November 2012 12:55, Umar Nawaz <nawaz.umar@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for the replies

I would like to describe to what I'm interested in doing.
http://emcrit.org/podcasts/ecmo/
Here is a podcast and page discussing portable ecmo. I would like to see portable ecmo units everywhere, in everyone's home as you would find a fire extinguisher. I'd like to see more than 10 billion units produced as soon as possible in a scheme similar to 1 latop per child. If the devices can be shrunk down to the size of a smart phone, after all, it's plastic and metal and microchips, then they can be worn on multiple locations on the body and keep people alive. This could help all people with heart failure and copd or who might be at risk for heart attack. I would also like to see it used in healthy people, for example athletes in training. It can also maybe used in healthy people to continuously monitor for cancer and other disease since you have the blood continually flowing through an external device where diagnostics can be run. What I'm imagining is multiple devices worn on the body and plugging into smaller arteries and veins.

The biggest problem would be infection risk, but let's for a moment that it can be solved somehow, we have an existence proof that biological skin accomplishes it, and so we just have to create an artificial version of the skin seal. But let's imagine that it is solved and so the problem is creating an open source design that can be mass manufactured, or even 3d printed at home, by anyone.

Does anyone have any ideas about what is a good next step, are there any forums in addition to this that would get involved in taking up this cause. I'm not a hardware/wetware hacker, so I'd like to see actual hardware/wetware hackers get in on this. I really want to see this happen within 1 year, like 1 billion units produced within a year. There's more than enough manufacturing capability in the world to do so and this would save million of lives, or at least prolong lives in aggregrate by million of years.

So thank you, if anyone has any further suggestions I (and the people who could be helped) would be grateful.


On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:15:02 PM UTC-5, Umar Nawaz wrote:
Hi,

A11111re there any miniaturized ecmo (extracorporeal long term heart-lung machine) machine diy projects. I'm interested in applying it for veterinary. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extracorporeal_membrane_oxygenation

Thank you

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/diybio/-/rhEUKTgmQKIJ.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment