[DIYbio] Re: Designer Probiotics. Anyone interested in this?

@romie, awesome. i am too more generally interested in the overall
health. probiotic applications in obesity is just my current project
of interest. lets talk off-line. i'll email you.

On Feb 29, 2:16 am, romie <ryrol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm really interested in the idea of modified got bacteria. I don't
> really care about the obesity issue compared to overall health but I
> think the problems of integrating something new into such a complex
> environment is a shared problem. I'm not in your area but can pursue
> this idea at LA biohackers.
>
> Romie
>
> On Feb 28, 9:11 am, naiverahim <rahim.ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > Recently I've been really interested in the idea of designing 'good
> > bacteria' to do even more good for the gut. I've conceived of a way to
> > design Bifidobacteria (with 2 genes --> 2 enzymes) to destroy fat
> > before it's absorbed into the body or excreted in feces. This would be
> > a really cool designer probiotics that would benefit so many people,
> > particularly those on high fat diets (obesity). Taking Bifidobacteria
> > longum as a supplement has been shown to resist diet-induced obesity
> > and mitigate metabolic syndrome in rodents but of course the effects
> > are marginal. My goal is to shift metabolism towards fat degradation
> > in these designer probiotics to deliver appreciable benefits. It'd be
> > nice to have someone to bounce ideas with. Let me know if your
> > interested so I can send you some good literature on this.
>
> > I'll be doing much of the work between City College and GenSpace in
> > Brooklyn. Anyone in the area?
>
> > Bam!,
> > Rahim

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment