Re: [DIYbio] Where do DIY Biologists get things like Crispr or genes

It's not a legal requirement to have a license to order/possess arbitrary DNA in most of the West. The only exception I know of is France, where an origin of replication or a resistance cassette can lead to a plasmid being regulated like a GMO in its own right.

Some DNA foundries require institutional backing, others don't. Same for most chemicals that aren't outright dangerous.

Strains above BSL 1 are regulated in most countries, but the larger problem is MTAs barring safe strains being shared freely. This probably has the effect of encouraging less safe strains like home-isolated wildtypes, IMO.

On 20 October 2017 20:34:16 GMT+01:00, 'Lauren-Ashley Duncan' via DIYbio <diybio@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I'm a grad student in a virology lab but have been interested in the diybio movement for a long time.
I'm particularly interested in genetics despite what I currently work on (although I do teach a genetics lab to undergrads).

One thing that has confused me for awhile though is where you guys get some of your materials. I know when we order stuff (even low biosecurity products) we have to prove that we are from an institution.
How are you guys getting around this?

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment