Re: [DIYbio] Re: Home cloning setup

Hi Koeng,

What kind of air filter do you use? Do you have to change it after a certain amount of time?  We have some competent cells you can use. 

Thanks,

Dan

On Feb 26, 2018, at 11:07 AM, Koeng <koeng101@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Flynn, 

I actually do have a cloning setup at home. My lab is actually specifically made for cloning (I like to figure out how to clone things well while working on the Free Genes project, then implement those things at home). And no, I'm not rich. I rent a single small bedroom, which is both my lab space and my home. 

Incubators are cheap from ebay. ~$100. I put an orbital shaker I got for $50 into it, so now I have both a shaking and stationary incubator. You also don't really need an incubator... bacteria grow just fine at room temperature, albeit for longer times. I often grow my sporulating Bacillus at room temperature so they don't take up room in my incubator. 

I don't actually have any freezer room except a small box for enzymes that I keep in our main freezer that I share with roommates. Unfortunately, that also means I don't really have space to store any food, so I usually keep dry food at home for eating. If I had room, I'd pick up a $200 chest freezer from Home Depot, that could store all my stuff for the foreseeable future. Oh, the glories of having space...

I don't have a -80C freezer. Those things are expensive man! And large. Right now I just use competent cells as I make them. That is getting very annoying, so I plan on paying for storage of my competent cells at a local biohacking lab. @Sebastian has also reported that the cells stay good for a few weeks at -20C, so it is quite possible if I had a chest freezer I could just make new batches every other week. 

For long term storage options, I've found that cells last for about a year at -20c in glycerol. They start doing funky stuff after that, so if you regenerate stocks every 6 months, it should be fine. Or just store plasmid stocks. Another good method is to spin down the cells just like you are about to do a miniprep, then freeze those stocks. If you need the plasmid, go ahead and do a miniprep of that frozen stock. It works well after a couple of months, and I haven't tried a yearlong experiment yet. 

You don't need a hood. Why would you need a hood? You don't even need a bunsen burner! Pick up an air filter from amazon for about $150, and that will be MORE than enough. In addition, when you make LB and the dust gets everywhere, the air filter will make sure your room doesn't get all dusty. It also keeps things nice and sterile, just like a bunsen burner. To spread cells, just keep a bic lighter handy and a small beaker of ethanol (from CVS). Dip your inoculating loop in the ethanol, then just do a quick light to burn that ethanol off. Keeps it sterile. 

I use GoldenGate enzymes. No need for PCR reagents. I have 5 enzymes - T4 Ligase, T4 PNK, SapI, BbsI, and BsaI. About $250 off of NEB. I don't like PCR for several reasons. However, if it fits your fancy you can get those enzymes for a couple hundred more bucks.

I don't need microscopes. Why would I need a microscope? Why would I need a FEW microscopes? Here's a tip - learn what your bacteria smell like. I recall one time I caught contamination of my yeast stocks because I took a whiff of the overnight and it didn't have that familiar baker's-yeast smell. Bacillus subtilis is quite easy because it smells so much like dirty feet. E.coli also has a certain smell. You have a great biochemical sensor built into yourself! Use it!

List:
Enzymes : $250
Incubator + shaker: $150
Centrifuge : $100
PCR Machine: $150
Air filter: $150
Glassware: $100
Pipettes: $150
Disposables: $100
Media: $100
Other expenses (tables, boxes, tube holders, etc etc. Everything else you can think of): $250
---
Total: $1500

That seems expensive, but remember I have a very complete lab that I am quite proud of, and probably spent around the range of $2500 on over the range of the last 5 years (high-throughput is expensive ): ). If you're clever, I bet you can cut costs but many hundreds of dollars, and get a cloning setup to do your specific experiment for about $500. If you need any advice, hit me up. But no, you don't have to be rich. I'm certainly not rich, just dedicated :)

If you're not sure how to get all that stuff, Josiah has made it quite easy at the-odin http://www.the-odin.com/genetic-engineering-home-lab-kit/ 

Otherwise, back to eBay!

Koeng


On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 9:32:46 PM UTC-8, Michael Flynn wrote:
Hi.

Does anyone have a home cloning setup - how are you doing it? Are you rich? You must have an incubator, a -20c and -80C freezer, maybe a hood, digestion enzymes and PCR reagents, and a few microscopes? 

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/85a581ef-c3f7-464f-9573-60a06415ddd3%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment