A Ph.D. teaches you more then just things. It teaches you a mindset. Something that is very difficult to gain otherwise.
I am not saying one is useless without a Ph.D.I am saying that a Ph.D. provides skills and opportunities that it is difficult to obtain otherwise.
That's what I was trying to get across and Josiah described it quite well. I can relate to the NMR analogy having just finished my BSc and getting my first real position at a chemical startup, boy was I humbled! I came to realize how very little I actually knew (and how relatively useless 30 minutes on an instrument during a college lab course is) to really understanding how to use the piece of equipment, and make sense of the data that comes out of it. There are many things you just cannot learn from a book, or at least, learn well, and grad school seems to represent a massive opportunity for learning many different things very well.
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.






0 comments:
Post a Comment