[DIYbio] Re: Start-up Fantasies

There are still plenty of things you can do with all that stuff! Here is just a small I idea :D


How about pcr cloning and subcloning services? Genscript charges 300 bucks, I am sure you could do it for cheaper. Think of the cost of a PCR reaction

polymerase master mix - 8 reactions - 1.60$
Primers - 2 - 40$ at most
Template - sent from buyer, 5$ purification
Cloning - max cost - 15$
Gel- 2$
Sequencing- 20 $
Minipreps and coli- 20$

Do it for like 200$ and get 100 dollars. 

On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:00:27 PM UTC-7, Paul Schroeer-Hannemann wrote:
Back when I first found out about the DIYBio community I saw how inexpensive I could get basic equipment and materials and thought I might be able to start my own freelance DNA testing business or something.  You know, performing paternity tests, looking for genetic disorders in people with a family history, telling greenies whether their food is genetically modified... all for considerably less than what the big companies are charging.  I even worked out that I could get a thermocycler, centrifuge, electrophoresis tray, and most of the reagents for about a thousand dollars and the material cost per sample would be just a few bucks.  But then some people pointed out that malpractice insurance, establishing a clean lab, licensing, etc. would add several thousand dollars to the expenses.  AABB accreditation alone would be around $12,000/year.

Oh well, that's reality for you.  Probably a good thing that idea got killed prematurely, otherwise I might have even tried my idea of starting a company intended to spread Biotech as much as possible by enabling individuals or small groups to set themselves up as franchises or something.

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to diybio@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/diybio/-/w62I5siFXckJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment